Skip to main content

Application deadlines

Applications for the autumn semester begin on 1 January of the same year.

Application deadlines for the academic year 2024-2025:

  • 1 June, 2024 for non-EEA students who will need to apply for a visa in order to study in Belgium
  • 15 June, 2024 - final deadline for payment of the blocked account money, the non-refundable deposit and providing legalised documents. Any incomplete application will be rejected.
  • 1 July, 2024 for EEA citizens and other applicants who do not require a visa.
  • For our postgraduate Certificate Programmes the deadline is 1 May, 2024 for non-EEA students and 1 June, 2024 for EEA citizens.

The application processing fee is 50 EUR and is non-refundable.

The good news is that there is no limit on the number of admitted students. If you meet the diploma and language requirements, you will be accepted.

The average processing time for applications is two to three weeks. Please take into account that Howest University of Applied Sciences is closed for summer recess between 17 July and 15 August. The admissions team will continue answering emails, however other services will be closed.

Our academic calendar is split into two semesters. Students applying for degree programmes are only admitted at the start of the academic year, i.e. the autumn semester. Starting classes in the spring semester is not possible, as courses in the second semester build on first semester curriculum.

Tuition and finances

Tuition at Howest is a combination of a fixed fee and a variable fee (price per ECTS). Keep in mind that, as a non-EEA citizen, you will need to have an additional 11.000 EUR/year for your visa application and to cover your cost of living in Belgium. This amount will have to be provided annually during your stay in Belgium.

You can find the overview of the tuition fees here.

There are other costs that you will need to take into consideration when considering studying in Belgium.

Check here what you can expect.

Submit your application

Admission requirements

1. Diploma requirements

You are applying for:

  • a bachelor: a secondary education diploma that gives access to higher education (university studies) in the country where the diploma has been issued.

    You can check examples of diplomas and requirements per country that we usually accept. Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list and not a guarantee of admission. Each application file will be assessed on individual basis.
  • a short-track, advanced bachelor or postgraduate certificate programme: you need at least a bachelor's degree. Additionally, you need to meet specific diploma requirements indicated on the programme pages.

Every admission file is assessed on its own merit.

If your documents are in a language other than Dutch, French, German or English, they must be translated by a sworn translator.

Are you still in secondary school?

If you are in your final year of secondary studies, you can still start the application process after admissions open. You will need to provide us with your current secondary transcript and an official document from your institution stating when you are expected to graduate and with what kind of diploma. We encourage students not to wait until the summer and apply as early as possible. This will ensure that they can start looking for accommodation, arrange visa on time and arrive to Belgium worry-free to their academic journey at Howest.

Are you from the French or German-speaking communities in Belgium?

You do not need to submit an application for admission. Your diploma gives access to our bachelor's programmes, provided you can submit a proof of meeting the language requirement (Dutch or English, depending on the programme you choose). Send a copy of your diploma and proof of language proficiency to admissions [at] (admissions[at]howest[dot]be). If you meet the language requirements, you will receive a ‘Certificate of Acceptance’ and you can register directly via this link.

Are you applying from The Netherlands?

If you are in possession of one of the diplomas below, you do not have to apply for admission and you can enroll directly via this link.

  • a Dutch Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (VWO) diploma
  • a Dutch Middelbaar Beroepsonderwijs (MBO) diploma of at least 3 to 4 years with qualification level 4
  • a Dutch Getuigschrift van met goed gevolg afgelegd propedeutisch examen

The following foreign study certificates/diplomas are eligible for enrolment in associate degree programmes at Howest:

  • all diplomas listed under diploma requirements for our bachelor's programmes.
  • a Dutch diploma ‘Hoger algemeen voorgezet onderwijs (HAVO)’. This diploma gives direct access to our associate degree programmes. You do not have to submit an application for admission. You can enrol directly via this link.

Admissions examination

If you do not meet the conditions above, you may still apply via an admissions examination. For further information please visit the Guide for applicant alternative admission procedure at the AUGent website . If you meet the requirements and you want to start the procedure then contact toelatingsonderzoek [at] (toelatingsonderzoek[at]howest[dot]be)

2. Language requirements

The minimum level required is the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference.

The following documents are accepted as proof of English language proficiency:

  • a recent TOEFL Certificate: minimum score: 550 points (paper-based), 213 points (computer-based) or 79 points (internet-based);
  • a recent IELTS Certificate from the British Council: minimum score 6.5;
  • a GCSE Certificate English with minimum C; or IGCSE with score A;
  • one of the following Cambridge English certificates: First Certificate in English (FCE), Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE);
  • a certificate of Cambridge IGCSE English First, IGCSE English as a Second Language with minimum score A;
  • a certificate of the English language Test awarded by the University Language Center (UCT) of Ghent University;
  • a Dutch diploma “Voorbereidend wetenschappelijk onderwijs” (VWO);
  • an International Baccalaureate diploma in English, or with a minimum grade of 5 for the course English A or B high level, or minimum grade 6 for the course English B standard level;
  • a European Baccalaureate diploma with English as first language and a score of at least 6, or as second language and a score of at least 7;
  • proof that you have successfully completed at least one year of a full-time English-taught study programme in secondary education or at least 30 credits of an English-taught study programme in higher education have been successfully completed;
  • a Duolingo Language Certificate with a minimum score of 110 or higher;

If you are planning to study in Dutch, the following are accepted as proof of Dutch language proficiency:

  • proof that you have successfully completed at least a one year of a full-time Dutch-taught programme in secondary education or that at least 30 credits of a Dutch-taught study programme in higher education have been obtained;
  • a CEF certificate for level B2 Dutch (or higher), equivalent to the requirements set forth in the Proficiency Profile for Higher Education by the Dutch Language Union;
  • an NT2 certificate, Vantage 3.1+ 3.2 (speaking and writing) from a centre for adult education;
  • an Interuniversitaire Taaltest Nederlands voor Anderstaligen (ITNA) certificate at level B2;
  • an NVA5 certificate from the Universitair Centrum voor Talenonderwijs of UGent.
  • Educatief Startbekwaam or Educatief Professioneel certificate from CNaVT; or
  • proof of successful Staatsexamen NTII Programma II (issued by the College voor Toetsen en Examens in Nederlands [College for Tests and Examinations in The Netherlands]).

3. Write a motivation letter

Make sure to write the motivation letter in the same language as the language of instruction of the program you have chosen. Tips on how to write a motivation letter can be found below in the FAQ section.

4. Additional requirements

  • For applicants from countries with a Pisa score lower than 450 (or countries that are not in the Pisa reports), Howest reserves the right to impose additional requirements, such as a math proficiency test or an interview.
  • To apply for Howest's Bachelor of Educational/Teacher Training Programmes (Nursery Education, Primary Education and Secondary Education), you must first take the entry examination (information in Dutch).
  • Chinese students must also pass the APS-screening.
  • For students from Cameroon, Nigeria or Ghana. The institution where you have obtained your diploma must send us a copy of your diploma and transcript of records in a stamped and sealed envelope.
  • There is no portfolio requirement for our creative programmes.

Application and admission process

STEP 1: Submit your online application

Applications start on 1 January, 2024.
To start your application, log in to the application platform.

During the online application you will be asked to upload several documents:

  • a copy of your passport/ID;
  • a translated and legalised copy of your diploma with transcript of records, or transcript of records and expected graduation document from your school;
  • an official English language certificate certifying B2 level;
  • a motivation letter;
  • if asked: a math test or a portfolio.
EEA-students, please proceed to step 2.

Additional steps for non-EEA-students

[Step 1.2.] Pay the first installment

Once your application has been reviewed and your file has been approved, you will receive an invitation to pay the first installment of your tuition fee (1.100 EUR). When you finalize your enrolment, this deposit will be deducted from the total tuition fee. However, this deposit is non-refundable if you change your mind to study at Howest. Should your visa be denied, the deposit will be returned minus 100 EUR admin fee.

When your payment is registered by Howest, you will receive a '(Provisional) Certificate of Acceptance'.

[Step 1.3.]: Create a blocked Account

Along with your Provisional Certificate of Acceptance, you will receive instructions on arranging a blocked account at Howest. All students with non-EEA nationality are obliged by Belgian law to provide evidence of sufficient financial means to cover their study and living expenses for the duration of their studies. This will be required for your visa application and later on to obtain and annually extend your Belgian residence permit.

This means that you will transfer the required amount of money to the bank account of Howest. This amount will, in turn, be forwarded to your personal account in monthly installments. For the academic year 2024-2025 you will need to transfer 11.000 EUR as proof of solvency (for a single student). Upon arrival, you will need to register at city hall which will enable you to open a Belgian bank account. Once your account has been set up, you will start receiving payments in monthly installments.

* IMPORTANT * Please ensure you have sufficient (extra) funds to cover your expenses until that time. It is not uncommon for students to have to wait until November or even December to be able to register at the city hall and open a Belgian bank account and get access to their blocked funds from that point forward. Students who are not 18 years old yet cannot open a bank account in Belgium. They should be accompanied by one of their parents or a legal guardian to sign the documents.

Once the Admissions Office confirms the received amount, you will get a “financial certificate of your blocked account’ from Howest to be used for your visa application.

[Step 1.4.]: Apply for your visa

When you have your Provisional Certificate of Acceptance, the financial certificate of your blocked account, and a standard letter provided for you by the Admissions team for the Belgian Embassy, you can apply for your visa.

STEP 2: Upload missing documents

After you have received your final diploma, please resubmit your application online with a digital copy of it. Also, ask your secondary/higher institution to send an email to admissions [at] (admissions[at]howest[dot]be) (with a stamp and signature) confirming that you have graduated (incl. the date of graduation and the official name of your diploma).

After we have received and verified those documents, you will receive a ''Certificate of Acceptance".

STEP 3: Final enrolment

In the Certificate of Acceptance you will receive a link that will allow you to finalise your enrolment at Howest University of Applied Sciences.

During this step you will need to upload your (1) Certificate of Acceptance, (2) your ID/permit for residence or visa that allows you to stay in Belgium, (3) your proof of Student insurance Expat&Co (for all non-EEA students). After that you compose your study program and sign it digitally.

When this is done, your student file will be processed and checked by student administration. Due to many registrations this may take a number of days. If everything is OK, your contract and payment request for the tuition fee and extra study cost will be sent digitally.

STEP 4: Pay the tuition fee

Your enrolment will only be considered complete after the full payment of your tuition fee has been received. You can pay by a bank transfer or onsite with a Bancontact. No cash or credit cards are accepted.

Frequently asked questions about admission

Tuition and finances

Unfortunately, Howest does not have any scholarships for international students. Below are some supplementary options for financing that could be used for some groups of students.

Student grants of the Flemish Community

Certain categories of students staying in Belgium can be entitled to a student grant of the Flemish Community, provided that they fulfill the pedagogic and financial conditions as stipulated in the legislation:

Children of citizens of a member state of the European Union who are working in Belgium or who have worked here and who are under art.12 of the E.E.C. Regulation 1612/68 of the Council of 15 October 1968 regarding the free movement of workers within the European Union• Students with a foreign nationality having a permanent residence permit• Refugees and their children, whose request for asylum has been declared admissible

Student loans from FINS

Any EU student who wants to study in EU can apply for a loan via Fins company. Students can loan up to 25.000 EUR during their Bachelor’s studies to cover the tutiton fee and/or living expenses. Keep in mind that it is a commercial organisation and they have high interest rates: 8 – 12 % . There is a grace period of 6 months after graduation to start repaying the loan. For more information, please read the presentation.

Student grants from Howest STUVO

Howest does not have merit-based or need-based scholarships. After successfully passing the first year of their studies, only EU citizens can apply for an interest-free loan (for a small amount) from STUVO based on their individual file. For more information, please contact Howest STUVO at stuvo [at]

Student grants from your own government

Student grants are also awarded by the student’s own government. The appropriate authorities in the student’s country should be contacted by the student themself.

It is possible pay your tuition fee in instalments. If you wish to do so, please contact studentadmin [at] (studentadmin[at]howest[dot]be) for more information.

The living cost depends on your personal lifestyle. It ranges on average between 850 – 1000 EUR per month and includes the total expenses per month, covering accommodation (350-500 EUR), public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet, mobile phone), medical insurance, books and groceries. A lot of restaurants, cafes, sports facilities, hairdressers, and other places offer student discounts.

It is essential that you have sufficient financial resources. In order to get a student visa, you have to provide proof of sufficient means of subsistence. For the academic year 2023-2024 the amount requested is 11.000 EUR for 12 months.

As a student, you can work a few hours a week to top up your budget, but financing your education through a student job is not advisable as it could harm your study progress. More information 

Non-EU/EEA nationals in Belgium have to be a full-time students in order to get a student visa. If you have a legal residence in Belgium, having an electronic residence permit or an appendix 15 (if you received this document while awaiting for your residence permit) is sufficient. Since January 1st, 2019, residence permits given to non-EEA citizens studying in Belgium mention extra information about working possibilities. With this residence permit, you can work for any employer in Belgium, considering the following specifications:

  • You can work during the period of validity of your residence permit.
  • During the academic year, you can work for a maximum of 20 hours per week. During official holiday periods (i.e. winter, spring or summer holidays), you can work more than 20 hours per week.
  • You can’t work when you are supposed to be attending classes or other activities related to your study programme.
  • You are not allowed to work during the summer before the start of your first academic year in Belgium. 
  • For more information please contact Howest STUVO: stuvo [at] (stuvo[at]howest[dot]be)

Application Process

The application fee is applicable to both EEA and non-EEA citizens and amounts to 50 EUR. You will need to pay this fee for your application to be processed and it is non-refundable.

This money is used to contribute to the vibrant international community life at Howest.

It does not make a difference for the admissions procedure whether you have Belgian nationality or not (this does however influence the tuition fee). If you have a diploma obtained abroad, you must apply as an international applicant. Our Admissions Office has to verify whether your diploma gives the right for enrolment at Howest.

If you are in your final year of studies and expect to graduate in summer, you can start your application before that. During your application you will need to provide us with your current transcript of records from high school and an official document from your institution stating when you are expected to graduate and with what kind of diploma. After your documents (along with an English-language certificate) will be checked, you will be granted a ‘Provisional certificate of Acceptance’ with a link to Howest pre-registration form and instructions on how to fill it in. With this certificate, you can start you visa application, but you cannot yet finalise your registration at Howest University of Applied Sciences. 

Once you have provided us with your legalized and if necessary translated copy of your diploma and after the authenticity of this document has been checked, you will receive a ‘Certificate of Acceptance’, which will allow you to finalise your enrolment at Howest University of Applied Sciences. 

You can check this list to view which legalisation method applies to your documents. All diplomas from outside of the EU have to be legalised. With the exception of diplomas that can be verified via online databases (such as, for example IB diplomas).

If your diploma does not give direct access to Howest, you will be informed about it by an Admissions Officer and asked to provide a Certificate of Access to University Studies. You will need to If you live in a country where the diploma has been obtained, please refer to the Ministry of Education or the local department of education to have the form signed and stamped. Alternatively, you can provide us with an Acceptance letter from a university, stating that you have been accepted as a student to a Bachelor-level programme at a university (in the country where the diploma has been obtained, for example, a German diploma – a German university. If a student follows international curriculum in another country he can provide us with an acceptance letter from a university in a country either a) where the diploma has been obtained, or b) which curriculum has been followed. For example, if an applicant studied at an American school in Switzerland, he can apply to either a Swiss or American university. The letter of acceptance from either university will be sufficient for us. 

If you live in a country other than the one where the diploma has been obtained, please refer to the respective Embassy. For example, if you are a student with a Portuguese diploma living in Spain, you can try to get the document signed at Portuguese Embassy in Spain.

Your motivation letter should reflect what are your career aspirations, why you have chosen this specific programme, and also what have you already done in the domain that you want to pursue.

For example, projects that you did at school or on your own, games, hackathons,  extracurricular courses etc. Show us anything that gave you a taste of the study programme already and proved that you are motivated to become a professional in that domain.

  1. a copy of your passport/ID;
  2. a translated and legalised copy of your diploma with transcript of records, or transcript of records and expected graduation document from your school;
  3. Proof of proficiency in the English/Dutch language at B2 level
  4. ‘Access to university’ certificate (if requested by Admissions Officer)
  5. Motivation letter
  6. For Chinese citizens: additional APS screening f
  7. For students from Cameroon, Nigeria or Ghana: the institution where you have obtained your diploma must send us a copy of your diploma and transcript of records in a stamped and sealed envelope.

From Saturday 1 July you can complete your final registration. This can be done online (you will receive a link in your Letter of Acceptance) or by appointment at Student Administration.

Which documents do I need to upload when registering online?

•    A copy of your identity card (front and back) or passport
•    Visa to study in Belgium or residence permit
•    Letter of Acceptance

If you opt for online registration, you will receive a payment proposal electronically.  If you complete your final registration on campus, keep in mind that the payment can only be done on site with Bancontact, no cash or credit cards are accepted. 

Exemptions and customised programmes.
You can apply for exemptions during the final registration. When you do so, the course counselor will automatically receive a notification about your request, and will follow up with you. 
Once this is done, your contract, the request for payment of the tuition fees, and any additional study costs will be delivered to you electronically. 

It is also possible to get exemptions even after you have signed already your study contract for the full 60 ECTS.  This is possible until the end of the second week of the academic year.  In that case, Student Administration will takes care of the necessary reimbursement.

Howest does not have a student quota for admission of new students to their programme of choice. If a student meets the general requirements and is motivated, the student will be accepted.


A good starting point is Study in Flanders website.

You have to initiate the visa application via the Belgian embassy or consulate for your country of residence. Consult the contact details of all Belgian embassies and consulates worldwide

Please note that in many cases you must make an appointment to submit your visa application and appointment schedules get full quickly in certain periods of the year. Start your visa application process as early as possible. The normal procedure can easily take up six to eight weeks.

When applying for a student visa, students need to prove that they have sufficient means of subsistence to cover their living expenses, healthcare and repatriation costs. 

The preferred way to do that (which will also increase your chances of getting a Belgian visa), is via Blocked account

A certificate of sufficient means of subsistence can be obtained through Howest University of Applied Sciences. You will need to transfer a specified amount to the account of Howest, where the funds will be blocked on a personal account. These funds will be released in monthly payments to your Belgian bank account to cover your cost of living. This amount does not include the tution fee.

You will receive instructions on the exact procedure to follow once you are accepted to Howest. The amount for the blocked account in 2023-2024 amounts to 11.000 EUR. 

NB! Please keep in mind that because of beauractatic procedures it can take up to 3-4 months to register in the city hall, open your Belgian bank account and get access to your blocked account money. Therefore, it is important to have extra means (cash, credit card etc) to be able to bridge this period until the blocked account money can be released.

Yes. Since recently all non-EU students are able to apply for a permit for residence for the so called ‘orientation year’  - to be able to look for a job in Belgium. For more information please refer to Study in Flanders website.

Apply to our programmes

Submit your application

Frequently asked questions about enrollment

General info on enrollment / tuition fees / learning credits

For information about your registration and administrative file, please contact the student secretariat.

Consult the tuition fee

You pay the scholarship fee if you can prove that you were entitled to an education allowance for secondary school education or received a study grant for the previous academic year (proof from the Ministry of the Flemish Community, study grant department or copy of an account statement).

If it turns out that you are not entitled to a study grant for the current academic year, you will have to pay an additional fee up to the rate of a non-scholarship student.

Costs specifically charged to the student and annual licenses for the Basic software package are added to the tuition fee on a flat-rate basis.

For certain courses of study, in addition to the flat-rate sum, a motivated, course-specific study fee is charged. 

This concerns costs incurred for either membership of professional associations, or for additional study course specific software, the use of specific material or attending events.

Working students without a higher education diploma can pay with a maximum of 500 euros in training vouchers per academic year (in accordance with the regulations of the VDAB, the Flemish Service for Employment and Vocational Training).

Working students can pay, under certain conditions, by KMO-portefeuille (SME e-wallet). Be sure to mention this when registering. The application must be made within 14 days afterwards the kick-off.
Our registration number is DV.O241438

More info

Een studiebeurs kan je hier online aanvragen.

Je kan terecht bij de Stuvo-medewerker sociale dienstverlening voor meer info. Maak een afspraak

If you want to pay in installments, please mention this in the comments field.

You can contact the Stuvo employee social services for more information. Make an appointment

Would you like to apply for exemptions, please mention this in your online registration. After finalizing, you can request for exemptions (digital). This is possible from the info-day in June.

Do you wish to follow courses in the second trajectory, study part-time or register for a credit contract for one or multiple courses? Please make an appointment with the study track advisor

  • Study credit does not apply to a graduate course. You can register for this. 
  • For a bachelor's programme, you can only register up to the amount of your available study credit (with the exception of those who have already obtained a master's degree and had their study credit reduced by 140 credits).

Consult the state of your study credit

You will receive your student card at the start of the academic year, after your final enrolment.

With this card, you can enjoy many advantages at home and abroad.

The student card is used to copy, print, pay at the vending machines and in the cafeteria, and to gain access to the car park. You can top up the balance of the student card online, but also at the reception desk.

On and around campus

There is a specific offer for lunches per campus (hot dishes, sandwiches, pasta, cold dishes, hot snacks, soup).

You can find all information about student housing on the student accommodation page.

    As a student in Bruges, you can rent a student bicycle through the 'Bruges student city' project with interesting conditions. You pay € 6/month. The minimum rental period is 3 months.
    More info
    As a student in Kortrijk you can rent a bicycle at Mobiel with interesting conditions. You pay € 6/month.
    More info

    Certificates for a train subscription are given at the time of final enrolment. This allows you to purchase a school subscription or campus card and travel at student rates.
    Students studying in Kortrijk can purchase a De Lijn student pass for bus transport in Groot-Kortrijk (the greater region of Kortrijk). For this, you pay an administrative fee of € 10. More information

On the Howest website, you can choose your campus and check the parking facilities.

Start and organisation of the academic year

The academic year starts on September 11th, starting with the kick-off week. In February, there is a kick-off between 1 and 15 February, depending on the programme.

During the kick-off week there will be welcome days. You will receive a first explanation about the timetable, education- and examination code, student guidance, the Leho study platform and the use of your Howest email account.

You will also have the opportunity to meet your new classmates, the Howest campus and Stuvo (student facilities department). In addition, practical arrangements are made to make a good start.

It is a must to be present on the kick-off days. You can find the planning here

Lessons start on Monday, September 18. Second semester, lessons start on February 12.

The week before, there is the kick-offweek, presence needed.

Consult the academic calendar

Howest offers entry-level courses to prepare you for your graduate of bachelor studies. You review the necessary basic knowledge and you’ll an idea of what your course really entails. These courses are optional.

Group divisions and timetables will be announced during the kick-off week. From then on, the timetables can be found on

You can find the holiday breaks on the academic calendar.

Study material / software / laptops

You can find your book list (based on your course) at iBamaFlex (Mijn studiemateriaal).

After your final enrolment you will receive a confirmation email on your private e-mail address with more information about your new Howest account so you can sign up at iBamaFlex.

Books can be bought by Standaard Boekhandel at student rate. This will be possible online on 01/09 with your Howest account via

Courses are offered online and you may print them if desired.

Every Howest student needs a laptop with legal software. The course you study recommends a specific type of laptop. More information about laptops

Do you have any additional questions? Click here or contact us via laptops [at] (laptops[at]howest[dot]be).

Statutes and facilities

All information about the application procedure, substantiation, supporting documents and certificates can be found via

The course counsellor arranges all facilities and support for and with you, in consultation with the course.

Are you a student entrepreneur, or will you apply for this status? Then you need to contact one of Howest's business coaches.

  • Business coach for Kortrijk, Bram De Muynck - [at] (bram[dot]de[dot]muynck[at]howest[dot]be) or 0479 82 53 92.   
  • Business coach for Bruges, Marie Vermast - marie.vermast [at] (marie[dot]vermast[at]howest[dot]be) or 0478 445 822.

Anyone who is employed at least 50 percent in the private sector in the Flemish Region and who is enrolled on a study programme registered on is eligible for Flemish training leave under certain conditions. Be sure to check these conditions in advance.