Special Circumstances and provisions
Howest wants to open up education for a population as big as possible and wants to offer eacht students all the opportunities to develop to the fullest.
Each person is unique, Howest acknowledges and appreciates the differences and executes an diversitypolicy that aims to develop from an integrated towards an inclusive policy, complemented with a policy towards target groups.
- Language policy: possibility to test the language knowledge and to catch up; o
- Language remediation course in cooperation with the cvo;
- Specific actions for refugees: certificate equivalence and language help.
- Inclusive exam facilities;
- Peer Assisted Learning: older students coach new students to obtain academic skills or to improve subject material.
- Specific actions for incoming students: buddys, rental of bikes at student prices, support to find housing
‘Onderwijsambassadeurs’ is a project of FMDO (Federation of Global Democratic Organizations) in which enthusiastic volunteers with a migration background pass on their knowledge and experience about education in Flanders in their own language to foreign-speaking parents. The education ambassadors inform and sensitize or refer to the universities of applied sciences of Bruges and Kortrijk. They also point out thresholds and bottlenecks they experience within the education to FMDO. Together we strive for equal educational opportunities for all. Howest participates in this with the aim of supporting the participation of students with a foreign language in higher education. Learn more
As a student, you may be granted special statute because of characteristics and/or circumstances. To do so, you must submit an application via the registration tool. After the statute has been granted, it is valid for your entire study career at Howest and you can request reasonable adjustments from the study coach of your program talentcoach van jouw opleiding. These measures are valid for one year and you must reapply to the study coach each year.
Which statutes are possible?
Students with a disability
- Motor disability;
- Hearing impairment;
- Visual disability;
- Chronic illness;
- Psychiatric disability;
- Multiple disability;
- Developmental disabilities:
- Learning disorder (dyslexia, dyscalculia,...)
- Autism spectrum disorder;
- Tic disorder;
- Developmental dysphasia;
- Combination disorders.
Student in specific social or individual circumstances (including medical problems)
- Pregnancy and/or parenthood;
- Different cultural background or foreign native language;
- Transition period transgender;
- Other exceptional social and individual circumstances.
Top Sports Students
Student with a cultural status
Student with tenure:
- On a governing or advisory board in Howest and/or AUGent.
- A political mandate.
What support services can I get?
Below you will find a number of possibilities.
Possible support services for educational activities (following classes, study materials, tasks, internships, study track...)
- Possibilities of and solutions for absence;
- Possibilities of leaving a teaching activity earlier;
- Electronic availability of study materials;
- Possibility of monitoring by appointment;
- Allowing deviations from deadlines;
- Rescheduling of labs and/or internships;
- Flexibility in study progress/pace;
- Communication to teachers about specific points of interest;
- Changing contracts or routes outside of the scheduled periods;
Possible support services for exams
- Adapt exam format to individual needs;
- Take exam on computer (possibly compensating software);
- Flexible exam scheduling;
Inclusive support services in written exams
- Appreciation for the content and understanding of spelling mistakes, except for language modules;
- Oral explanation of exam questions;
- Additional time for taking a written examination, except where time is an element of the assessment.