"Welcome to Howest University of Applied Sciences"
Howest is a dynamic University of Applied Sciences known for its innovative and interdisciplinary approach to education and research, and its close collaboration with industry, business and the social profit sector.
We offer 24 Bachelor and 10 Associate Degrees with a strong practical focus, in the areas of Business & Management, Industrial Sciences & Technology, Digital Design, Architecture, Healthcare, Education and Social Sciences. Howest is a member of Ghent University Association, which provides high-quality higher education to about 1/3 of Flanders’ student population. All programmes are fully accredited by NVAO, the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation.
We constantly develop our course offer in English in order to position Howest as an attractive academic choice for students from abroad. At present we organise 2 Bachelor degrees fully in English as well as 21 English-taught semesters, to which we warmly welcome students from our Erasmus and overseas partner universities for an exchange period.
Our four campuses are located in the historical cities of Bruges and Kortrijk, in the province of West Flanders, Belgium. Studying in Bruges or Kortrijk includes having a series of very attractive locations nearby: the Belgian coast as well as our Flemish art cities like Antwerp, Brussels, Ghent... You can also reach famous European places like Paris, London, Amsterdam, Cologne in a one or two hours train journey.
Howest made it to the 2019 Princeton Review’s Top 50 of Game Design Undergraduate programmes, entering the list on #22 as the highest-ranked newcomer. In 2017 and 2018, Howest was ranked as best school in the world to learn game art and development by The Rookies and Grads in Games. Several of our students from various programs received awards over the past few years.
Howest continuously adapts its curricula to include new areas of knowledge and to put the latest research into practice. Creativity and entrepreneurship are part of the Howest DNA. Field-driven assignments and on-the-job training are key components of each programme. That is how we meet the changing needs of today’s society and arm our students with future-proof skills.
Committed and supportive lecturers embody Howest’s core values “serve - empower - care” which stimulate an open, pluralistic and international outlook on education, research and service to society.
Over the years, Howest has built a solid reputation in application-oriented scientific research, services and education, partnering with universities and work-field organisations in Belgium, Europe, and all over the world. Our students and staff are given plenty of opportunities to go global and gain international experience, thanks to international networks, scholarships and exchange programmes. Howest has led or actively participated in many highly successful international projects.
In short, Howest is a university where learning is both effective and enjoyable.
COMPANY & ORGANISATION
GRADUAATSOPLEIDINGEN VOOR WERKSTUDENTEN
DESIGN & TECHNOLOGY
- Advanced bachelor of Bio-informatics (Bruges)
- Biomedical Laboratory Technology (Bruges)
- Digital Arts and Entertainment (Kortrijk)
- Digital Design and Development (Devine) (Kortrijk)
- Energy management (Kortrijk)
- Industrial Product Design (Kortrijk)
- Multimedia and Communication Technology (MCT) (Kortrijk)
- Applied Architecture (Bruges)
- Applied Informatics (Bruges)
GRADUAATSOPLEIDINGEN VOOR WERKSTUDENTEN
HUMAN & WELFARE
- Teacher Training: Pre-Primary Education (Bruges)
- Teacher Training: Elementary Education (Bruges)
- Teacher Training: Secondary Education (Bruges)
- Verkorte Educatieve Bachelor in het Secundair Onderwijs (Bruges and Oudenaarde)
- Occupational Therapy (Kortrijk)
- Social Work (Bruges and Kortrijk)
- Sports and Movement (Bruges)
- Applied Health and Lifestyle Sciences (Bruges)
- Applied Psychology (Bruges)
- Nursing (Bruges)
- Bridging Programme Nursing (Bruges)