Development cooperation

Does development cooperation appeal to you? Howest Outreach is enthusiastic and supports training courses to develop a South operation in order to enable students to acquire global citizenship competencies. Training students to become citizens of the world requires an offer of experiences that students can acquire with North-South relations and development cooperation, so that they can develop a critical opinion about global evolutions and issues.

Howest students who feel called upon to gain field experience regarding the problems of developing countries and North-South relations, can realize their internship, Bachelor's thesis or project in a developing country.
Howest has many southern projects and partnerships within which you can run a well-supervised and supervised internship in the South. There are two exhibition programs that can give you a financial boost. We expect you to preferably follow the Omkadering traject, or at least one intensive preparation day from our offer, and that you at all times keep to the official travel advice of our Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Howest itself.

VVOB internships

howest illustraties_programma cropped.png


This information will be available soon.
Contact if you have specific questions.

VLIR-UOS travel grants

howest illustraties_programma cropped.png


VLIR-UOS supports partnerships between universities and colleges, in Flanders and the global South, that seek innovative answers to global and local challenges.

VLIR-UOS finances collaborative projects between professors, researchers and lecturers. In addition, VLIR-UOS gives grants to students and professionals in Flanders and the global South. Finally, VLIR-UOS contributes to the strengthening of higher education in the global South and the strengthening of a specific international dimension of higher education in Flanders.

More information

Travel grants

The VLIR-UOS program “travel grants” provides financial compensation for students who go and work in one of the program countries on a development-relevant theme.

A selected student will receive a fixed sum of € 1000. There are two submission moments every year; the most important thing is at the beginning of December, for those who want to go to South internship during the spring semester. The call is always sent to Leho, info site Go International> global engagement (Development cooperation).

More information

Zuidstage with a grant from the Province of West Flanders

howest illustraties_programma cropped.png

You can also submit a grant application to the Province of West Flanders for your South internship or project. The grant amounts to € 1,500 by default.

More info

Please note: your application file must go through Howest International Office. We therefore necessarily have an earlier internal deadline than the submission date of the Province that you will find on their website! All information for Howest applicants is clearly stated on our Leho info site Go International. The Province also organizes an annual networking day "become a citizen of the world" for departures. Attending it increases your chances of getting your scholarship application approved.

Internship within the Flemish NGOs for development cooperation

howest illustraties_programma cropped.png

This information will be available soon.
Contact if you have specific questions.


howest illustraties_locatie cropped.png

Every year Howest organizes several awareness-raising initiatives as part of its Outreach program. We will make this known through the Announcements on our Leho infosite Go International.

VLIR-UOS also supports and organizes awareness-raising initiatives, debates and other events related to development cooperation.

Security and insurance

howest illustraties_kwaliteitslabel cropped.png

Certain countries in the South are not always stable in terms of administration. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs publishes an official travel advice for each country, which is constantly updated.

Keep this piece of advice in mind for your destination country. Notify both your internationalization coordinator and international office if "non-essential travel" or "travel" for your area is discouraged. In consultation with the local contact persons, it will then be decided whether or not to postpone or cancel your project. In any case, take a cancellation insurance with your flight.

Howest can also declare certain regions or countries as a “no go” zone for a specific academic year, for example in the event of an Ebola outbreak. Your internationalization coordinator is aware of this travel advice.

In addition, we insist that every student (with Belgian nationality) who goes on study or internship mobility to a country outside the European Union, register on this government site: It barely takes a few minutes and is free! If a serious crisis occurs in your country of destination (natural disaster, political crisis ...), the FPS Foreign Affairs will be able to inform and help you more easily. After all, the Belgian Embassy or Consulate on site is then aware of your stay.

By default, all Howest students who go on a study or internship abroad are insured by the school insurance for physical accidents and civil liability. However, this insurance does not cover medical expenses or repatriation. Howest and the scholarship programs that support South Internship require that all students leaving for the South take out adequate travel insurance. If you already have it, check whether it also applies to your country of destination, whether it offers enough coverage (travel assistance, repatriation, legal assistance), or whether it covers the full duration of your internship. Also specifically check whether an internship is eligible for coverage as part of your study program. The insurance that is offered free of charge by the health insurance companies to all affiliates is usually not sufficient. You can request a personal extension of travel assistance from the Howest school insurance (paying - contact the anchor point of the Finance department of your campus in good time to take out the insurance). We also expect that, once on site, you follow all guidelines of the local contact person or promoter that (may) have to do with safety.