Education and Examination Regulations (EER)
The Education and Examination Regulations list the rights and obligations, the procedures and the general functioning for all teaching and examination activities at Howest.
The EER constitutes an agreement between Howest and all of its students and is therefore of the utmost importance. If you, as a student, would like to request a printed copy, you can do so via student services.
PAQ and PAC Exemptions
With previously acquired qualifications (PAQ) you can request exemptions for certain course sections or study units.
The granting of exemptions based on PAQ is regulated by Howest's Education and Examination Regulation.
With previously acquired competences (PAC) obtained through relevant experience elsewhere your study path may be shortened. The AUGent PAC regulations list all the possibilities.
Attention: At Howest we work with fixed submission dates for the registration of a PAC procedure. These are 1 April and 1 November. These are the deadlines for submitting a PAC file, in order to apply for exemptions before the start of the semester.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (evc means pac)
Admissions exam for bachelor study programmes
If you have not obtained your secondary education diploma but still want to follow a bachelor's course, you can use either the Admissions Exam or the Admissions Check.
You are 21 or older
If you will turn 21, by 31 December of the academic year for which you are registering, you must use the AUGent Admissions Exam.
- Admissions examination – A guide for candidates
- Deadlines for admissions examination (Dutch)
- Contact: Els Gobbin
You are under 21
Ik you will not turn 21 by 31 December of the year you are registering for, you must apply for a credit certificate for one or more course units via a credit contract. You can register after completing the Admissions Check at Howest.
The tuition fees for the bachelor's study programmes, preparation and transition programmes are listed in the table below.
The tuition fees for the graduate-after-bachelor's courses, postgraduate courses, postgraduate and foreign-language courses are approved by the Executive Council for each course and / or professional programme.
Overview of the 2021-2022 tuition fees
- Diploma and credit contracts
|Fixed fee||Variable fee
(based on 60 SC)
|Non-scholarship student||€ 247,90||€ 11,90||€ 961.90|
|‘Almost’ scholarship student||€ 247,90||€ 4,30||€ 505.90|
|Scholarship student||€ 113,20||€ 0||€ 113,20|
- Examination contracts
|Fixed fee||Variable fee
|All students||€ 113,20||€ 4,30|
- Tuition fees for non-EEA students studying English-Taught bachelor's courses
cfr. Codex Higher education Art. II.215 for students not covered by cat. 1-7.
|Fixed fee||Variable fee
|All students||€ 1081,90||€ 98,00|
Additional programme specific study costs for 2021-22 (subject to changes)
Specific and limited costs for the use of goods and the organisation of specific events are charged to the student insofar as they are directly related to the organisation of the course.
Certain costs are charged at a flat-rate to students with a diploma contract or to students with a credit contract of 18 or more credits. These costs include, among other things, costs for:
- ISIC international student card with numerous benefits;
- Copy and printing costs of various essential information bundles
- Use of multimedia rooms, studios and loan-out multimedia equipment;
- IT support from the ICT helpdesk;
- Unlimited electricity consumption for charging mobile devices;
- Collectively calculated consumables for labs, practicals, bachelor’s thesis, internship;
- Copyrights (Reprobel);
- Use of electronic media library databases, intra-media library traffic;
- Basic software package with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Visual Studio and other developer tools (Imagine (Dreamspark)), Mathematics, E4Progress Office training, HogeschoolTaal NL and UK (Plantyn), Digital Word trainer (Die Keure), Siemens NX, McAfee Antivirus, Alinea in the cloud (Sensotec), LinkedIn Learning, Digital workbook (Explio), LINQPad etc.
The flat-rate fee is 100 euros.
In addition to this fixed cost, a course-specific fee is charged for certain study programmes. The total additional study cost is as follows:
|Study programme||Reason||Total additional study costs|
|Communication Management||Additional software Adobe Creative Cloud||€ 158|
|Digital Arts and Entertainment (DAE) (Dutch + English)||Additional software Adobe Creative Cloud;
Access to and possibility to borrow course-specific game hardware and infrastructure;
Specific events and lectures with domestic and foreign experts, organisation of study nights and other community building activities with an international student population, specific to the international character of the course.
|Digital Design and development (DEVINE)||Additional software Adobe Creative Cloud||€ 158|
|Industrial Product Design||Additional software Adobe Creative Cloud||€ 158|
|Industrial Informatics: Multi-media Techniques (MIT)||Additional software Adobe Creative Cloud||€ 158|
|System and Network Management||Additional Cisco license||€ 105|
|Journalism||Membership of the official association of journalists and registration for Quindo||€ 135|
|Marketing and Communication Support||Extra software Adobe Creative Cloud||€ 158|
|Multimedia and Creative Technlogies||Additional software Adobe Creative Cloud, Pluralsight license and Additional Cisco license||€ 195|
|Industrial Informatics:Online & Offline Graphic Design||Additional software Adobe Creative Cloud||€ 158|
|Programming||Additional Pluralsight license||€ 140|
|System and network management||Additional Cisco license||€105|
|Applied architecture||Additional software Adobe Creative Cloud||€ 158|
|Applied Computer Science||Additional Cisco license||€105|
- For all software included in the additional study costs the license is valid for one academic year.
- For enrolments with 30 credits or fewer, the amount is reduced by 30 euros. For the Digital Arts and Entertainment course, the amount is reduced by 100 euros.
- For courses specifically for working students, the amount is reduced by 30 euros.