Enrol at Howest

Step 1 is for your pre-registration with Howest. This online registration will help ensure your final registration runs smoothly. In order to pre-register, you will need your electronic identity card and several documents. Don't have all the requested documents yet? No problem, you can upload them later when you finalise your registration.

Step 2 is your final registration. This can be completed online or at Student Services office on campus from 26 June.

Online registration

Final registration: where and when?

howest illustraties_cursusmateriaal cropped.png

From Saturday, 26 June, you can complete your final registration. This can be done online or by appointment at Student Services during opening hours..

Online registration

Open your online registration and check whether all necessary documents have been uploaded.

Are all your documents in order? Now you can put your study programme together and sign it. Then your file will then be processed and checked by Howest. Once this is done, your contract, the request for payment of the tuition fees and any additional study costs will be delivered to you electronically.

Register on campus

Would you rather complete your registration on campus? You can do so at Student Services. Make sure you have uploaded all the necessary documents first. To do this, open your online registration

Are all your documents in order? Then make an appointment at one of the campuses below. During your appointment, your contract will be drawn up and you can pay on site with Bancontact for the tuition fees and any additional study costs.

Study programmes in Bruges

Campus Brugge Station - BST5
Rijselstraat 5

Make an appointment

Study programmes in Kortrijk

Campus Kortrijk Weide -Gebouw J
Sint Martens Latemlaan 1B

Make an appointment

Study programmes in Oudenaarde

Campus Oudenaarde
Fortstraat 47

Make an appointment

Opening hours, contact details and map

Exemptions and customised programmes

If you need to request exemptions or a customised programme during your online registration, you will first need to make an appointment with your course counsellor.

The contact details for your course counsellor can be found in the email you receive after you register.

Which documents do I need to upload when registering online?

howest illustraties_programma cropped.png
  • A copy of your identity card (front and back) and/or residence permit
  •  A copy of your secondary education diploma or your provisional diploma + (in the case of a foreign secondary education diploma, proof of admission – see admission requirements)
  • If applicable: documentation showing that you were entitled to an education allowance for secondary education or a study grant from the Flemish government during the last academic year. When you submit one of these certificates, you pay a reduced tuition fee upon registration (scholarship rate).
  • Proof that you have taken the entrance exam (bachelor’s Education course)

Tuition Fees

howest illustraties_Nog vragen- cropped.png

Student Services

howest illustraties_programma cropped.png

For information about your registration and your administrative file please contact the Student Services.

Admission requirements

howest illustraties_cursusmateriaal cropped.png

Those who want to enrol in a bachelor's programme, must have obtained at least a Flemish secondary education diploma or HBO5. Direct enrolment is also possible with a Dutch VWO and MBO level 4 diploma.

Students with a foreign or other secondary education diplomas can register so long as their diploma offers access to university in the country where they obtained it and if they meet the language requirements included in the education and examination regulations. First, send an email to toelating@howest.be to check whether your diploma is eligible. If so, you will receive a certificate of admission with which you can register.

Those who wish to enrol in an associate degree can do so with a secondary education diploma, but also with a certificate from the second year of third grade BSO that was obtained at least 3 years ago.

Anyone who does not meet these conditions will still be given the opportunity to register via an admissions test. There are special procedures for the admission examination.

If you want to enrol in a bachelor's in education programme, you must first take the Primary Education, Secondary Education, Nursery Education entry test.

Previous experience: PAQ and PAC?

howest illustraties_kwaliteitslabel cropped.png

With what you have studied in the past (previously acquired qualifications – PAQ) or learned elsewhere through experience (previously acquired competences – PAC), you may be exempt from one or more course units or parts of the study programme.

There are special procedures for paq and pac’s.

Starting in February

howest illustraties_Nog vragen- cropped.png

Do you feel like you have made the wrong choice of study for you? If that’s the case, don’t worry. You can start a new course at Howest in February.

A number of graduate courses will start over again with a model track in February. This way you can still obtain your diploma in 2 years’ time.

For other courses, we offer you the opportunity to switch to a course path that suits you through a customised programme. You start in February and the study programme is spread over an extra semester. This way you don't lose a full academic year and you increase your chances of success.

Take a look at the study programmes offered and make an appointment with the course counsellor to work out your customised path together.

International applications

Are you an international student or a Belgian student with a foreign diploma that wants to enrol in one of our English or Dutch language courses?

Instructions for international applications

Frequently asked questions

howest illustraties_Nog vragen- cropped.png

Find answers to frequently asked questions about enrolment, tuition fees, study credits, the start and organisation of the academic year, study materials, software, and laptops.

Frequently Asked Questions

General info / tuition fees / study credit

Where can I ask questions about registration and my file?

For information about your registration and administrative file, please contact the student secretariat.

How much is the tuition fee?

Consult the tuition fee

You pay the scholarship fee if you can prove that you were entitled to an education allowance for secondary school education or received a study grant for the previous academic year (proof from the Ministry of the Flemish Community, study grant department or copy of an account statement).

If it turns out that you are not entitled to a study grant for the current academic year, you will have to pay an additional fee up to the rate of a non-scholarship student.

Will there be extra study costs in addition to the tuition fee?

Costs specifically charged to the student and annual licenses for the Basic software package are added to the tuition fee on a flat-rate basis.

For certain courses of study, in addition to the flat-rate sum, a motivated, course-specific study fee is charged. 

This concerns costs incurred for either membership of professional associations, or for additional study course specific software, the use of specific material or attending events.

Can I pay with training vouchers?

Working students without a higher education diploma can pay with a maximum of 500 euros in training vouchers per academic year (in accordance with the regulations of the VDAB, the Flemish Service for Employment and Vocational Training).

Can I pay with KMO-portefeuille (SME portfolio)?

Working students can pay by KMO-portefeuille. Be sure to mention this when registering. The application must be made within 14 days afterwards the kick-off.
Our registration number is DV.O241438

More info

Am I entitled to a scholarship/study grant?

You can apply for a study grant here on paper or online.

You can contact the Stuvo employee social services for more information. Make an appointment

Is there any financial compensation? Can I pay in installments?

If you want to pay in installments, please mention this in the comments field.

You can contact the Stuvo employee social services for more information. Make an appointment

‘I would like an individual process: apply for exemptions, study part-time or register for only a number of modules

Would you like to apply for exemptions, please mention this in your online registration. After finalizing, you can request for exemptions (digital). This is possible from the info-day in June.

Do you wish to follow courses in the second trajectory, study part-time or register for a credit contract for one or multiple courses? Please make an appointment with the study track advisor

My study credit has run out! What do I do?
  • Study credit does not apply to a graduate course. You can register for this. 
  • For a bachelor's programme, you can only register up to the amount of your available study credit (with the exception of those who have already obtained a master's degree and had their study credit reduced by 140 credits).

Consult the state of your study credit

When will I get a student card and what can I do with it?

You will receive your student card at the start of the academic year, after your final enrolment.

With this card, you can enjoy many advantages at home and abroad.

The student card is used to copy, print, pay at the vending machines and in the cafeteria, and to gain access to the car park. You can top up the balance of the student card online, but also at the reception desk.


On and around the campus

Is there any way to get food on campus?

There is a specific offer for lunches per campus (hot dishes, sandwiches, pasta, cold dishes, hot snacks, soup).

Where can I find student accommodation?

You can find all information about student housing on the student accommodation page.

Is there a possibility to rent a bike?
    As a student in Bruges, you can rent a student bicycle through the 'Bruges student city' project with interesting conditions. You pay € 6/month. The minimum rental period is 3 months.
    More info
    As a student in Kortrijk you can rent a bicycle at Mobiel with interesting conditions. You pay € 6/month.
    More info
Are there any discounts on public transport?
    Certificates for a train subscription are given at the time of final enrolment. This allows you to purchase a school subscription or campus card and travel at student rates.
  • BUS
    When you buy a Buzzy Pass you will get a 35 percent discount. Consult the timetable of De Lijn.
    With the certificate for a train subscription, you can buy a combined season ticket from NMBS/SNCB (Belgian National Railways). You get a 35 percent discount on the bus part. To take advantage you need to fill in this form.
    Students studying in Kortrijk can purchase a De Lijn student pass for bus transport in Groot-Kortrijk (the greater region of Kortrijk). For this, you pay an administrative fee of € 10. More information
I go to school by car. Is there a parking space?

On the Howest website, you can choose your campus and check the parking facilities.

The start and organisation of the academic year

When does the academic year start?

The academic year starts on September 14th, starting with the kick-off week.

During the kick-off week there will be welcome days. You will receive a first explanation about the timetable, education- and examination code, student guidance, the Leho study platform and the use of your Howest email account.

You will also have the opportunity to meet your new classmates, the Howest campus and Stuvo (student facilities department). In addition, practical arrangements are made to make a good start.

It is a must to be present on the kick-off days. You can find the planning here from the 1st September. 

When do the lessons start?

Lessons start on Monday, September 20.

The week before, there is the kick-offweek, presence needed.

Consult the academic calendar

Can I prepare for my future study? Are there entry-level courses?

Howest offers entry-level courses to prepare you for your graduate of bachelor studies. You review the necessary basic knowledge and you’ll an idea of what your course really entails. These courses are optional.

Where can I find my timetable?

Group divisions and timetables will be announced during the kick-off week. From then on, the timetables can be found on lesroosters.howest.be.

Where can I find the academic calendar?
When are the holiday breaks?

You can find the holiday breaks on the academic calendar.

Study material / software / laptops

Where can I find my book list and where can I buy my books?

You can find your book list (based on your course) at iBamaFlex (Mijn studiemateriaal).

After your final enrolment you will receive a confirmation email on your private e-mail address with more information about your new Howest account so you can sign up at iBamaFlex.

Books can be bought by Standaard Boekhandel at student rate. This will be possible online on 01/09 with your Howest account via https://howest.standaardstudentshop.be

Are there other course materials besides books?

Courses are offered online and you may print them if desired.

Do I have to have my own laptop to start my studies? If so, which one?

Every Howest student needs a laptop with legal software. The course you study recommends a specific type of laptop. More information about laptops

Do you have any additional questions? Click here or contact us via laptops@howest.be.

Where and when can I buy this legal software?

You can find your personal software list, based on your programme, at iBamaFlex (Mijn studiemateriaal). After your final enrolment you will receive a confirmation email on your private e-mail address with more information about your new Howest account so you can sign up at iBamaFlex.

The software package through group purchase, necessary for your programme, is included in the additional study costs. So you don’t have to buy this anymore. 
Howest opted to include the licenses for 1 academic year so the package will be activated at the start of the academic year.

A few study programs use other study/training specific software. You can buy this software at a student price on howest.academicshop.eu

Additional information 


Statutes and facilities

I have a learning disability or functional impairment. How and where can I apply for special status and facilities?

All information about the application procedure, substantiation, supporting documents and certificates can be found via howest.be/facilities.

The course counsellor arranges all facilities and support for and with you, in consultation with the course.

I have student entrepreneur status. What now?

Are you a student entrepreneur, or will you apply for this status? Then you need to contact one of Howest's business coaches.

I am a working student. Am I eligible for Flemish training leave?

Anyone who is employed at least 50 percent in the private sector in the Flemish Region and who is enrolled on a study programme registered on vlaanderen.be/vlaams-opleidingsverlof is eligible for Flemish training leave under certain conditions. Be sure to check these conditions in advance.